Thursday, January 11, 2007

Roaches

Two posts from me today. You're welcome.

I know that there are roaches hiding in virtually any restaurant, especially in Houston. They're at Maggiano's. They're at Chipotle (perish the thought!). They're at NY Pizzeria and of course are making a fine living at Whataburger. Surely you know this too, right?

So what do you expect when you see a cockroach meandering across your table? I considered this after quite the breakfast experience (which I'll get to... slowly, as is my way). If I was at an expensive dinner and I came across anything of that nature I'd waste no time in standing up and waddling out of the joint. "Screw you and your $50/plate!" I'd yell. I'd be disgusted! I'd be horrified! But most of all, I'd never part with a dime.

But what about at a fast food place? I'd probably just shrug and walk out. Don't believe me? I present to you IHOP Breakfast of the 11th. This morning, after Craig and I had finished eating our eggs and french toast, a roach popped up beside my purse. This motherfucker was HUGE. And unlike the roaches I've seen on floors of apartments and parking lots he wasn't moving very fast. Nope. He just kinda strolled along with window pane above my purse, then along the top of the booth toward me-- kinda like he was thinking of buying me a drink or striking up a conversation. Instead of freaking out, Craig and I just kinda got up and said something so someone else could kill the bug.

I wondered what would happen when we got to the register. Would they give us our meal for free? I'd hoped not because I was here as a mystery shopper (seriously, why else would I be in IHOP in the morning?) and I needed to produce a receipt or I'd have to come back and eat there the next day. I needn't have worried because our waitress offered us 10% off the bill instead ("No" grunted the manager. "Give them 20%"). We left a large tip and we all kind of chuckled when they said, "Thanks! Uh, come back and see us!" as we walked out the door.

Four hours later I'm amazed that I don't care about a roach hanging out with us for breakfast. Have my standards dropped so low? Is it really because we were already finished eating, as Craig hypothesized? I'll let you know in two months when we hit the local IHOP again. Mmm!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmm...definitely a little freaky. But I think Craig's right -- if I was done with my meal, I'd probably be a little less inclined to cause a stir.

On a separate note, can you tell me about your mystery shopping? Who are you working with and do you have any recommendations? (I didn't realize you could do it at restaurants!)

Laurie said...

Ewwwwwwwwwww!

I agree that you were not as grossed out by it because you had finished eating. And it wasn't crawling across your table.