Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Somebody pour me a drink




Sunday night found me tired and without a tv show to enjoy. What’s a girl to do? I popped in the latest movie from my Netflix queue: Finding Neverland. I’d heard the movie was good.

The movie’s okay, but it’s psuedo-based on the life of J. M. Barrie, creator of Peter Pan (and apparently also credited with coining the name Wendy. Crazy). Last night I decided to hit up wikipedia to read about how much of the movie was true.

Don’t do it. Don’t click that link. It’s effing depressing.

Barrie’s childhood sucked. The kids from the movie had really crappy lives. I wasn’t orphaned like the Llywelyn-Davies kids, most of whom met bitter demises. Oh god. I was so depressed I contemplated downing the huge bottle of Chivas Regal we have on top of the fridge in its entirety.

But I didn’t because, well, there are a lot of calories in about a half gallon of booze. Besides, scotch isn’t a taste I’ve acquired just yet. Instead I decided to look up Tasmanian devils to see if they’re really only in Tasmania. Why? Because the topic came up at brunch on Sunday, though I don’t remember how. At any rate I was sure those crazy marsupial pictures would cheer me up!

Don’t do it. Don’t click that link. It’s just plain sad.

Tasmanian devils are a protected species, partly because people killed most of them because they were perceived to be a threat to livestock (and maybe they were), then the remaining population is dying from devil facial tumor disease. Check out the picture at the end of the entry: the devils get these tumors that take over their faces until they die of starvation 12 – 18 months later. Every one of them. How awful is that?

(and yes, they’re only found in Tasmania).

Dude, knowledge sucks. I’m gonna go cry now.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Oh I so should not have clicked on the Tasmanian devil link. I even did after your warning. That is so sad and so nasty.

I hope you can find something amusing on Wikipedia to brighten your day! Oh I know, try YouTube!

Bolder said...

*pours a drink*