Saturday, January 13, 2007

Tagging


I've been tagged. The rules:

1. Find the nearest book.

Incidentally, I "saved my legs" all day and read either on the couch or snuggled with my kitties in bed. All day. I got through The Virgin Suicides, pictured above, and William Goldman's abridged version of S. Morgenstern's The Princess Bride today; The Princess Bride is fabulous, especially with the 700+ pages of Florin historical bullshit Goldman cuts out; unfortunately, he effs it up by lots of self-indulgent babbling in the '98 version I read. [I highly recommend it if you want to get all pissed off this guy regularly gets paid (his screenplays include Butch Casidy and the Sundance Kid and the '75 version of The Stepford Wives. Take from that what you will.)] Anyway, dude is a total putz. It's a shame that such a douchebag is the guy that erected Mortgenstern's genius from the rest of his bitter satire to offer the world. Speaking of bitter, it sounds like Morgenstern and I would have gotten along just swimmingly. But anyway...

2. Name the book & the author.

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

3. Turn to page 123.
4. Go to the fifth sentence on the page. Copy out the next three sentences and post to your blog.

In the car, however, beside the actual living girls, the boys realized the paltriness of these images. Inverse properties were also discarded: notions of the girls as damaged or demented (The crazy old lady in the elevator every day turns out to be, when you finally speak to her, perfectly lucid.) Something like this revelation came over the boys.

5. Tag three more folks.

Mmm, I'm not a tagger as such, but I'll offer it up to my victims:
Bolder, Craig, and Frankie, who just returned back to the blog scene.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

I can't believe you read all of that in one day! You must be a super fast reader.

I loved the Princess Bride when I read it in junior high. I loved the detail and that I was getting credit for reading such a fun book.

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

How was the marathon? Details -- give 'em up -- please.

Stay tuned...

Bolder said...

damnit!

you drew me in with the word virgin...

damnit!!