Thursday, January 11, 2007

Holy crap! I’m running a marathon on Sunday.

Must’ve slipped my mind what with all the bad Christmas gifts, cruises, and boyfriends-turned-fiancés falling 1/2 way over in front of me. I’m easily distracted.

I’m a little worried about the run this weekend, but not as worried as I was before I went on vacation. A story:

So I’ve established my supreme post-IM lazy fatness for 3+ months running. Judging by the other bloggers it’s not uncommon, but my misery having company doesn’t take the edge off my guilt. In my battle to extract the fat (and the lazy) from my system last month I hit the gym, my Mecca of inner peace. I started lifting and liking it—which is crazy—and trying to get in some decent long runs after the 50k. Unfortunately, "long" turned into 6 mile high-HR, sweating-like-a-pig torture sessions. I started to worry about my mental fortitude, the finest thing I have to offer triathlon and endurance racing. I’m not built. I don’t regularly coach. I’m not fast. I’m not thin. On the other hand I can do a long ride of 40 miles and eek out my first ironman because of my badassness, not my bad ass. I can make my only long run 10 miles the Sunday before and PR in a marathon because I’m young, strong, stupid, and good at racing. So what was wrong?

They say you forget the pain of long races because otherwise your body wouldn't be able to cope. Bullshit. I remember marathon pain, and it ain't pretty. To save myself just this once I decided December 30th was do-or-die. I was getting off work early and had time to get out one more long run before the marathon. Over 15 miles = doing the marathon. Fewer than 15 meant I was going to force myself to do the half instead, which would be sad because this is the only marathon I can do til I’m grinding one out in Tempe on April whatever-it-is. After the run I was heading out to Greyhound’s neck of the woods for a little flipturn fun and to meet Curly Su, who happened to be in town.

After work I went to the Y and hopped on a treadmill. My plan was a 60 minute run, a 4 or 5 mile run, then another hour if I was feelin it. I also opted to skip out on iPod usage, which I feel has run rampant in my life. I shun music because that’s what I was taught to do (George's weighty opinion doesn't help), and it was with great shame that I ever donned my armband when setting out to run.

60 minutes, 6 miles, gel. I felt good. 4.5 miles, 46 minutes, gel. I felt great, even ecstatic. I refilled my water bottle and prepared to run another 6 miles or 60 minutes, whatever came first. To celebrate, I popped on some Panic! At the Disco, the best teeny bopper stuff to come out since I was a teeny bopper (so... like last year). Then, 5 songs and 2 miles later, I started to die. I was miserable! I needed to stop, but why? My legs felt fine, I’d just gotten some nutrition, and I was finishing up the easiest leg of my run. I struggled mightily with my urge to press the STOP button but held back because of how ashamed I’d be to admit I only ran xx miles when I went to Greyhound’s. Instead, I took off my headphones with 1.5 miles left.

And suddenly I was fine. I left the Y having completed 16.5 miles in a comfortable 2 hours 47 minutes. But afterward while chillin in the pool with the likes of Grey and the Su, disappointment set in despite the lovely company. I really wanted to get in 18 miles for the day, so after driving home I ran around the block twice for a 1.6 miles. It wasn’t fast, but I finished my run with only light soreness on Saturday.

The moral? Music is the devil. May I never be tempted again*!

One last thing: marathon goal. The weather isn’t looking the best, but I think I can pull out 10:00 miles; after all, I have 3 whole long runs in the past 6 weeks, including that unhurried 31.1 mile jaunt last month. I’m hoping I hit the 4:15ish range, but I’ll take anything under my previous two years of 4:35ish. I’m not picky. If you want to track me via text message you can do so at http://www.activeresult.com/results/MSG-signup.tcl?sub_event_id=22484. My first name is Mishele and my bib number is 8636.

*Unless spinning, lifting, elliptical-ing, or stretching. Because that’s just different.

6 comments:

Laurie said...

Good luck with your marathon!

I am amazed you can run for that long on a treadmill without music. I would go insane. Outside would be a different story. But whatever works for you!

George Schweitzer said...

now when i said i dont like listening to music when i run...i was meaning outside...not on a treadmill! i couldnt do that...you are one mentally tough chick!

shelek said...

If I could handle running outside I wouldn't have a problem in the first place! But the real world doesn't control my pace or keep me from taking shortcuts. Besides, it's too hot and I refuse to wear those dumb looking belts. Like my ass needs additional widening garnish!

greyhound said...

Good luck, kiddo. I'll be following along.

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

Man - I can't do the dreadmill without some music. Outside I can do, but the 'mill? Ugh. Good luck - I bet you'll do great!

by the way - TAG YOU'RE IT!

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

You're one tough gal to do the mill without tunes. Good luck in tomorrow's race.

Stay tuned...