Tuesday, February 20, 2007

"you're brave"... for a complete wussy

My pool closed for 8 whole days starting yesterday. Seeing as I need the pool to both run and swim, this is going to be a serious PT/stretching/bike week, huh? I could go to a different Y for my pool workouts, but the truth is I'm nothing without a Y between home and work. Sloth takes over pretty quickly for me.

I do have a 18-20 yd "lap" pool at my apartment complex though, and that pool stays heated throughout the winter. I opted to hit that instead of driving 20 minutes to the next nearest Y Monday evening to stretch out my sore calves (the race) and ass (the PT). I got there around 6:20, just as the sun was sinking past the buildings.

To get to the pool you go through the little gym on the property, which was chock full of people. I cut through the gym, stripped down to my suit, and put my feet in the empty pool.

It was freezing. Crap.

It wasn't so cold that I couldn't swim, however; I just couldn't hang on the wall the whole time, which was kind of my plan. I dove in and got moving. But try as I might, I couldn't time my flipturns OR shake the feeling some psycho killer was going to drown me. I started freaking out. I knew I was being completely irrational, but I simply couldn't help myself. Who would want to drown me? Besides, there were half a dozen people a mere 15 feet away from me. I was a strong swimmer and could put up a good fight. I'd be fine! I would start swimming again only to start imagining seeing a severed hand or drops of blood drift by me

It was a long 40 minutes thanks to my extremely active imagination.

Finally I'd swum long enough. I hopped out, dried off, and walked to the pool exit gate--where I met my stalker. A cute little stray kitty.

I tried catching him ("you couldn't take him home anyway" said Craig, annoyed because I'd woken him up from a nap. "Yes I could" I insisted. "I could've dropped him off at a shelter tomorrow." Of course, I'd planned on keeping him forever and ever. Oh well.) but to no avail. I gave up, opened the gate, and was immediately startled by a stranger walking to his apartment.

"You're brave" he commented upon seeing me in a swimsuit. I had to laugh...Oh, the irony.

1 comment:

The Stretch Doc said...

Now thats funny! I used to swim at my old apts in a small pool, took like two laps to get one reg. lap. Suxd but I did it cuz thats all I had.
Didnt imagine the bloody hand tho, good 1. haha.

Thanks for cheering me on!
back to reading!
rockon`