Tuesday, February 13, 2007

No wonder my legs are rebelling

I just uploaded and/or entered into iSmartTrain all my workouts since 1/22, when I really started getting into things. I broke down and bought the program after somehow getting my comp and my watch talking after a mere 4 tries/20 minutes (hint: you have to upload the adapter software. What a crazy idea!). Assuming my system doesn't crash I am officially nerded out and ready to go. As I was playing around the program post-updating I took a peek at my totals for the year. And while the total time was too low to be sharing with y'all, I was shocked to find I've run more hours than I've cycled. Incidentally I've run more hours than I've cycled and I've gone spinning, which is absurd. What idiot runs more than she rides? There's no excuse for this! I'm the one making, revising, or skipping my workouts. I intentionally won't drop the money on a coach because I don't believe in them (for me... not for you. Coaches are great; they know stuff, way more stuff than I do. But I don't want some dinky plan or some online person prepping me for a race. I need a very real-- and very expensive-- helper in my life or no helper at all except for George's advice. Besides, I do this sport for the toughness and independence aspects a la Faris Al-Sultan, albeit much much more slowly, and a coach detracts from that).

So it's with a renewed interest in my legs' wellbeing that I'm actually going to obey my doctor (except, of course, for the races). Secretly I was planning on doing the occasional casual run or interval session, but not anymore. I'm married to aquajogging. And my hiney is going to get well acquainted with that Serfas butt cushion on my bike. Oh yes. Most often you get hurt by being unlucky, deformed, or dumb; at least one of those is preventable.

P.S. George, please don't start charging me when I ask you questions. I'll cry.

1 comment:

George Schweitzer said...

aww...i'm flattered. Coaches are overpriced. How does one actually coach without ever seeing you? In my opinion, these online coaches are a big waste of money. All they are are workout dispensers, nothing that you can't find hidden in some book. I think if you're gonna get a coach...get one that actually sees you perform.