Monday, April 14, 2008

Moving to Chicago

And as much as I love the band, I don't mean I'm dancing to "Look Away." I'm heading to Chicago for a summer of associateness and Ironman training.
The good: world, eat your heart out as I open water swim every day (in theory) without the fear of being eaten by a jellyfish-shark.
The bad: I think that Chicago doesn't make hills, and rumor has it that Louisville is full of 'em. I'm also without my Houston tri crowd, which is nothing short of tragic (so I suppose that should have made it to the ugly, huh?).
The ugly: I don't remember how to swim, and perhaps more importantly, I have not secured housing.
Still, I'm stoked. No need to go all negativo on myself, right? It's still March. I mean, April.

Aside from the excitement of moving to a city with public transportation, I'm a little concerned about where I go for triathlon info. Where should I train? What are good warmup races to do? Can I ride in the city or is it off to the 'burbs in the Nissan like in Houston?

I don't know. Do you? Do your friends know? Are there any Chicago trifolk running around The Internets? Can you give me tri relocation advice? I'm all ears!

2 comments:

Brent Buckner said...

Megan's out Chicago way, you could try asking her:
Project Procrastination

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

I live in the 'so far out they're not exactly the burbs anymore' 'burbs of Chicago, but I still know a decent amount about the Chicagoland tri scene.

I've got a friend who lives in the city and rides a ton, I'd be happy to ask him for you where he does it. I'm waaaay too scared to do that! I know a lot of people ride on the path along the lakefront, but I think it gets too crowded for serious training.

If you want some hills for training, there's some fabulous hilly goodness on nice safe farm roads about 15 minutes from where I'm sitting I'd be happy to show you how to find.

Check out windycitysports.com to find local events - easy way to find warm-up races.

Email me at hitmystride at gmail if you have any questions about Chicago stuff, tri or otherwise.