Friday, April 18, 2008

Ironman 2009?

I think I have time for one last hurrah in 2009 before I rejoin the workforce the next year. Because I'm limited to late summer races, I really only have one choice left: Lake Placid. And since I expect the online registration to all but disappear this year, I'm helping out on race day and getting in line to register in person the next morning--exactly like Dying Water Buffalo last year. I'm really just following her around, one year late.

I signed up to volunteer, and I won't be getting the posh spots in transition and at the finish line that I got at Wisconsin. Nevertheless, it shall be awesome. I'm stoked.

I was also thinking about camping instead of getting a hotel room since I just bought a sweet new tent and am looking for excuses to use it. Does anyone have any experience with Lake Placid? Camping is a thing to do there, right? I figured if I don't have to worry about all the things that real athletes have to worry about like sleeping well or preparing enormous amounts of gear for the race, I could take advantage of the amazing locale. But, I don't know if this is realistic. Let me know if you have any feedback.

Where is everyone else going in 2009?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

2009: Ironman Switzerland for me. Probably. We'll see how the half that I've got scheduled in 11 weeks time goes first though . . .

greyhound said...

Ooooo, I am wrestling with 2009. I was thinking a late Ironman like the new Arizona, but I WANT to do Lake Placid.

Dangit. I should volunteer.

Seeley said...

ok... i haven't read this blog entry - but i happened to type in "freaking out about upcoming triathlon" in google search - and your 2005 entry appeared. ... i think it was your 1st.... the one called "dude, i'm freaking out."

you must read my blog... i think we're cut from a very similar mold...... 10weekstotri.blogspot.com

and thanks for your entries. you help me not totally lose my effing mind as i get ready for Wildflower next Sunday.... my first olympic distance. But i am FREAKING OUT.

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

Ah, lake flacid. I hear that's a really good one - I think you'll enjoy it.

I can't see much past august of this year - vineman will be my first eye-run distance...eep!

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

...except a couple friends and I have been talking about Big Sur this time next year. Doesn't that sound like fun?

Anonymous said...

I work in the hotel industry in Lake Placid and I can definately say "camp"! Hotel prices for Ironman are astronomical (I know my own hotel has rates as high as $400 per night and we are a middle class hotel).

Plus, Lake Placid is BEAUTIFUL so definately take advantage of the Adirondacks.