Monday, September 03, 2007

Somebody explain this to me.

Today I went for a run. There was absolutely nothing notable about it. Now my toe feels broken.

What?

I got up and of course did not feel like running, so I walked the .25 miles to Forest Park; I figured if I didn't want to run by the time I got there I could always just walk a few miles and enjoy the day. Once I got to the park, however, I felt duly inspired to run (since I couldn't get my heart rate over 95 by walking briskly... that and I felt like a soccer mom) (not that there's anything wrong with soccer moms) (though I do hate soccer).

I ran three or so miles at 9:00-9:15 pace. I didn't trip. I didn't roll my ankle. I wasn't startled, and I didn't have a single misstep. No bikes ran me over. The only thing even remotely interesting is that I saw my Legal Practice professor walking her dog, and the second half of my run was 8 seconds slower than the first half. After my run I again walked home, thankful I'd gotten in my 4th consecutive daily workout, which is pretty good considering I haven't done that since, well, May. Maybe May. More likely April.

Anyway, around 20 minutes into my run my big toe started hurting out of absolutely nowhere. I figured it was being weird then, but now it still hasn't gone away-- it hurts to wiggle, flex, stretch, and bear weight. It's slightly swollen, possibly discolored if the lighting is crappy enough, and refuses to be put into a shoe. Hey, maybe it's my shoes!

Except my shoes should be broken in (~40 miles on 'em) but not breaking down. What's more, I wear these shoes (Saucony Hurricane 8s) about 75% of the time I run because they're pretty and pink, but not a wussy pink. It is true that the Sauconys are B widths and my Mizunos (Wave Riders in mens because they're better looking) are D widths, but I haven't experienced any trouble in either shoe since I bought them in June or July.

Perhaps I've been working out too much... except of those 4 workouts in a row, two were swims and the other was an embarrassingly short ride, and none were especially intense. Not a lot of stress on the big toe there, especially since it didn't hurt until well into the run.

My socks? Fancy wicking ones that weren't bunched up. Breakfast? Brand of deodorant? Heck, I'm out of ideas. Anyone have any tips for me?

Off to ice and advil I guess... man I suck.

Next post will probably be all law school if you wanna skip it. Look for it once I get ahead enough for WI to squirt it out of my brain.

6 comments:

Marie said...

Maybe it'll be fine tomorrow. You never know!

greyhound said...

I have had that happen to me. The cause: leather dress shoes that pressed down on my big toe joint ever so slightly when they flexed while walking. Did not hurt at the time, but caused mucho pain afterward. A second time it was because the Yanks were too tight on my running shoes, and I wore them other than to run.

Brent Buckner said...

Maybe a bit of foot swelling led to a shoe issue? Hope it's just bruising!

Unknown said...

Well, that's a pain in the ... foot, I guess.

Hope it's right as rain fast!!!

George Schweitzer said...

i think its a weirdness that will go away unexplained.

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

sauconys gave me my second black toe - that's all the evidence I can provide you with. hope the tlc helps!