Friday, September 14, 2007

Gimme a double straight up

Does anyone know how to train for a double ironman?

Seriously. Anyone? I'm thinking I want to have a go at it. Next year. But I want to use my Louisville training if possible, so if you know anything about whether I can do an Ironman and then do a double 5 weeks later, that'd be great-- please email me!

I'm thinking it's doable; after all, Going Long says if you're going to be a d-bag and do two ultra races in a season, you shouldn't peak twice but rather should train, taper, race, rest, race (I think... I actually think GL's a snoozefest and have been in the first or second chapter for 2+ years). Besides, the double wouldn't be for bragging rights since normal people don't understand the difference between an IM and an IIMM. I just want to do it for me.

Let me know if you've been holding information out on me, okay? Thanks.

P.S. Want to hear how silly I am? Most of the time I could give a rat's hiney if someone beats me. Hey, I'm slow, and I'm genuinely okay with that. Nevertheless, there's a woman here I call StL swimmer chick, and she whooped my ass in the pool 3 weeks ago, in her last swim before her first ironman in Wisconsin. Still, I was (no, I am) 90% sure I could take her if I trained for it, so I got uncharacteristically competitive with her... and then she swam a 1:00 WI swim and finished the whole thing in under 12 hours. Shyeah. I'm an idiot. Well, I did the same thing with a tough cookie named Gina from Longview. She's the youngest to do a double iron and is doing the triple this year, but she's also done Sunmart (which I did... sorta) and IM Arizona. And like swimmer chick, Gina totally kicks my butt-- by like an hour or two in a 50k and by 90 minutes in AZ. Why can't I be competitive with normal people? With friends or enemies? Why complete strangers that are little tri beasts?

Hm, gotta go-- sink is backing up? I swear I'm moving into the Ritz next year.

9 comments:

Laurie said...

You're crazy. And I mean that in the best way possible :)

greyhound said...

certifiable. At some point, you'll be a danger to yourself and others, and i'll have to step in to protect the profession.

Unknown said...

I got nothin' in the "how to" department. But I'll follow along at home ... ;-)

P.S. You are not slow!

George Schweitzer said...

hehe...i know who you're talking about!

George Schweitzer said...

and yeah...she's one of the best chicas in the area. still i think you can take her. just gotta get you kickin the bike's ass. and a double iron eh? did you see the bike course and run course for that race you have linked. dude...i might kill myself doing that, but whatever floats your boat kid. good luck!

Jane said...

Wow. That's all I gotta say.
Do your new law school classmates know what a hardcore Ironman you are? Just to let Greyhound know, in the state of Texas, it's called commitable, although maybe in Missouri, they use certifiable.

Jane said...

Oh did you get that kitty Youtube clip?

Lisa said...

I didn't even know there was such at thing as a double Iron. Silly me. I think you are crazy, too.

Dances with Corgis said...

Michelle, my jaw just dropped. Double Ironman?!? You are amazing. :) I think that your plan sounds pretty good though...