Tuesday, December 12, 2006

My thoughts

Trail running is way better on my body than the roads, though it's hard to keep a good pace. We probably never ran slower than 12, maybe 13 minute miles in really hilly spots, but breaking for my crappiness and for aide stations really jacked up our overall time. I wish I'd had my own watch to just time how long it took us to just run the distance, but oh well. I went in saying I just wanted to finish and I meant it--what a great experience. I also have a newfound respect for the ultradistance events; I'll never dare try a 50 miler without serious training under my belt. Now that I'm unsore again I'm considering doing the 50 miler next year...

This was also my first race running with someone except for IM WI. Even though I was with someone I liked/respected (and who giggles at farting like I do), I'm still not keen on running with others. I don't need the company to push myself, and I really like the peace you can only get paying attention to your steps alone. It's kinda like my running is my secret I don't want to share with anyone. See how antisocial I am? I want to run for 7 hours by myself. That's just wrong.

I can't figure out what sent me into shitting overdrive. I stuck to peanut butter and bread, gum drops, GUs, and PowerAde for the most part. The only thing I can figure upset me was the soda; I drank it at about every other aide station and I wasn't burping like normal. Next time I'll stick to water and Gatorade to see if my theory holds true--but I'm bringing my own Imodium. I guess.

No comments: