Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Well what the heck am I supposed to do now?

Ironman? Finished. Law school? Decided. Jewel Quest? Beaten.

And uh... Harry Potter? As finished as I can be.

I'm mad and I'm gonna rant. Brace yourselves. I am completely addicted to Harry Potter. He's like library crack! I can't get enough; I even dream about him almost every night after I've been reading about him. He's like a real person to me! Unfortunately, I underestimated him and started reading the books in March "to relax." Now I have to wait three whole months to read the seventh book. (Don't ask me the book names. I get them very confused and just call them by their numbers.)

I could have put the first, second, or third ones down, but I didn't. Once I hit the fourth one I knew I was screwed. Back then I thought, "Harry Potter has to die in the seventh book. How could a kid with such an amazing story live a normal life after Voldemort?" A reasonable argument til I got to the end of the sixth book. Then? His death was a thing of beauty, an inevitable end to a wondrous tale. As the story continued through its current endpoint, though, his death would be melodramatic, hackeneyed, absurd. I'm annoyed because I'd bet $17 he's going to die in a particular way, which I won't share at the moment. I'm also annoyed because I don't think J.K. Rowling can write. Hello? Must we use "stride" as a verb on every single page? What's wrong with marching, stomping, walking, stepping, tramping, treading, or even trudging? Not only does she overuse it, she incorrectly uses it as well. And can't we think of synonyms for "brightly" and "flatly"? I have one thing to say to you, honey: Shift +F7. For crying out loud!

And the characters? I have to admit I'm getting tired of them. Hermoine's a tattle-tale, Ron's a whiny baby (despite getting plenty of attention in book 5 I might add), Ginny's a little on the easy side, and Harry's temper is pretty tiresome. Dude, someone needs to beat the crap outta him in hopes he'll get some patience and maturity knocked into him.

And don't get me started on the editing. You'd think that publishing one book a year would give you sufficient time to freakin proofread what was written. Rowling is obviously not to blame for this of course, but Scholastic is. I rarely notice typos in anything I read-- maybe one typo per 1000 pages would be a nice non-scientific estimate. Rowling's books have about 3-5 per book that I notice; surely there are more. If someone who's somewhat oblivious to details (well, for an engineer at least) notices that many errors, your book pretty much sucks. Yeah, I'm talking to you Scholastic.

Perhaps you're indignant that I'm criticizing such an acclaimed writer. Maybe you're smugly skimming my words, rejoicing at every written inadequacy I've provided you. Well Mr. Meanie-head, I'm writing a blog I thought no one was reading, not publishing the highest-rated/fastest-selling/greatest book ever.

Despite the things I so loathe about the books, I still love Harry Potter. Maybe I got past the first book because I'd seen the movie, which was surprisingly well done. Maybe I love a world of magic like every kid does. But I'm pretty sure that, bad adjectives and annoying characters aside, it's one of the best stories I've ever read. Details woven from one book to the next with characters that no human should ever be able to imagine-- it's breathtaking. It's art. It's addictive. I know I have to allow for some melodrama, some annoying brats, and some poor use of language because they're children's books (though "damn" and "hell" do appear in book 6-- I was mortified of course). And whether I want to or not, I'm waiting anxiously for July 21st. Actually, I'm waiting til my library has a copy of the book because I think there's nothing more idiotic than purchasing books that are popular and therefore available from the library. Be honest-- for the most part you're never reading the crap you buy more than once and you're cluttering up your house.

Anyway...

If Harry dies, I will be so pissed. In fact, I'll be forced to mentally rewrite the ending in my ultimate quest for peace. I don't want Harry to be Jesus or the young priest from The Exorcist, nor do I want Voldemort to continue on like Satan in The Omen. I want closure, happiness; frankly, I think I've earned these things as a reader for getting through the 3000+ pages to get to this point.

Now off to find something else to do with my time... :(

11 comments:

Marie said...

you probably already know this, but I LOVE Harry Potter!! So glad you've become fan!

Lance Notstrong said...

You have to understand, once someone is successful like Rowlings there is no such thing as typos or using bad grammar......it's called "art" :-)

An "artist" can roll around in paint naked on a canvas and call it "art". If I do it, it's just a "crazy fetish" :-)

shelek said...

Well rest assured that you'd get quite an audience for public performances of that particular "crazy fetish," Lance. :-) But I wouldn't invite your parents.

Laurie said...

I thoroughly enjoy your rants. I'm *gasp* not a Potter fan but I understand the phenomenon.

Congrats on picking a law school! You even took my uneducated advice ;)

greyhound said...

Bite your tongue! You're in league with Voldemort, aren't you? Maybe you are Volde-- He Who Must Not Be Named. I be you used polyjuice potion just like Harry and Ron did to become Crab and Goyle in the Chamber of Secrets and Barty Crouch junior did in Goblet of Fire to become Professor Moody.

Er. . . . maybe I've given too much information about myself there. Carry on.

Carrie said...

I haven't read e'm, watched 'em...don't know a thing about 'em...but I like your passion behind reading 'em. Nicely done on the rant.

Unknown said...

I'll be on the receiving end of that book as fast as Amazon can deliver it ... and I'll probably hole up in my bedroom with drinks and snacks and read it as fast as I can.

The Stretch Doc said...

Im diggn da Potter myself, seen all the movies and cant wait for the next one!

thanks for the comments. Excited for Cap Tex but a little nervous too, havent gone that far B4!

I gotta read your IMAZ recap!

rockon`

valorie said...

mish, did you read the last 6 books in 2 months? no wonder everything is so annoying. i'm the same way when i watch 5 seasons straight of a tv show i thought i liked. i pick every. thing. apart. with eragon, however, i got disgusted with it after 3 pages. i gave it another shot and lasted to page 30 before totally giving up. a friend told me that the author wrote it when he was 15, but i'm like, that doesn't make published crap better. of course, our power of the pen stories can never be beaten :o)

Anonymous said...

You finished Jewel Quest? I have been wrestling with that one for longer than I want to confess.

massage recliners

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

you have to go to the UK to really get Harry, I think. The first movie really captured Harry's muggle life.