Monday, March 12, 2007

You know why I’m glad I’m young?

Because I still believe in myself. I can see past my day-to-day existence to find the person I want to be, someone I am not yet. I think as time passes and you get caught up in the ordinary life--climbing the ladder, chasing kids, saving for retirement, making dinner, doing laundry, mowing the lawn--you forget what you can do, what you’re capable of. When I signed up for my first ironman, I knew I could finish it... There wasn’t a seed of doubt till I was waiting on the beach for the start. I also knew I’d be slow, but that was okay. I could be an ironman. And almost *but not quite* 16 hours later, I was.

Now there is less fear of the unknown in my training. I know what works and what training b.s. I can leave out. But how will I be ten years from now with the inertia of my everyday life pulling on my coattails? I hope I never forget what I can do, no matter how old I am, no matter how gross and wrinkly my body may get.

4 comments:

greyhound said...

That's one of the best posts you've ever done.

Remember, we don't grow old. We're old when we stop growing.

Lance Notstrong said...

When you get older, you just incorporate your training into say, chasing the kids. It's a "chasing the kids" interval :-)

Steve Stenzel said...

I'm an IM wannbe who just stumbled across your blog.

GREAT "about me" quote!!

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

wow. I like the notion - I agree. Clearly there's a story behind this one.

BTW - you've been tagged!