Monday, March 12, 2007

Best week of training ever

19+ hours in the s-b-r, 26+ hours all told. Amazing. I consumed 1400 whole calories-- a new personal high--on my 111-118.3 mile ride on Sunday (111 by the map, 118.3 by ol’ Lucy’s computer. I’m guessing it’s somewhere in the middle since I rode like I was drunk some of the time, weaving in and out of my side of the lane), followed by 25 minutes of aquajogging; I would have gone longer if the pool hadn’t closed. 3 hour long run (again, longer if the pool hadn’t closed). My first 5000 yd swim in probably years. A set of hard 200s where I held 1:23/100yd pace. A 2000 that I negative split by 48 seconds! The only sessions I skipped all week were a weight lifting one after my long run (I was exhausted) and 30 minutes of PT on Friday night, when everyone else my age was out having fun. I feel no guilt.

I learned some neat stuff this week. Number one: make sure you clear your HRM memory before you do a nearly perfect intervals session or you won’t “get credit” for it. Number two: riding a 22 mile out-and-back hike and bike trail five times will make you PSY-CHO. Number three: wearing an iPod for the last 45 miles of said trail makes it much more bearable. Number four: you can’t reach the back of your shoulders with sunscreen, so just resign yourself to burning every. single. week. Number five: don’t decide your $8 million cycling shoes are too small after you’ve put 800 miles on them. No one wants to buy used shoes that are so used. Number six: the best way to get roadies to clear out of the bathroom area is to drop the unholiest of restroom breaks while they’re standing outside the (open) bathroom door. Score one for the triathletes!

My new hike-and-bike discovery is a little dull, but it’s closed to motorists, is pancake flat, and has killer winds--the perfect Arizona training. It's kinda nice to see families with puppies out for a stroll rather than getting the finger from your local pickup driver. It’s also a quick 20 minute drive from my house, which beats the 60+ minute drives I’m used to if I want to ride long. This Sunday I’m planning on 120 with no running afterward so I can get home for my fantasy baseball draft. Life is good.

One quick question out there: Does anyone else’s HRM underestimate their calorie expenditure? Because I’m pretty sure I burn more than 300 calories/hour on the bike (320/hr in spinning class, when my HR is over 150 the entire time, and woo! 380/hr when I’m running as fast as I can). But maybe I’m just the most efficient amateur athlete on the planet...

3 comments:

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

One day -- soon -- I'll be able to post a training week like that. For now, I drool in envy and awe. And you *better* have meant 14,000 calories, otherwise I'll be convinced that you're a lyin' sacko...

Btw, any news on Speedy McWetsuit?

greyhound said...

**Wayne and Garth Genuflecting**
We're Not Worthy! WE'RE NOT WORTHY!

I was going to pester you again about riding this weekend, but you'd hurt me again with volume like that.

George Schweitzer said...

nice training week, champ!