Monday, December 31, 2007

Feels like the first time

Can a girl get enough Foreigner references in her blog? I think not.

I've swum twice this week, my first dips in the pool since early November. It's a funny thing about swimming-- I find the first trip back for my chlorinated baptism is the best swim I do. I feel light, quick, thin. My stroke is smooth, and instead of focusing on the inefficiencies in my pool, I feel my hips turn, slow and steady, the source of my power. I can see my turns, my streamlines, as the things of imperfect beauty that they are. I can beat 14-year-old girls and 60-year-old boys. More than anything, the pool is my playground in that first swim. This first was even better because it was in 72 degree water. The lifeguard yelled at me when I hopped in, but I couldn't understand anything but "72." It turns out the pool heater was broken, but I didn't mind-- 72, like my first swim backstroke, is perfect.

Of course, the grace only lasts as long as my first swim-- the second swim is laborious and painful as the first run. A modest 2200 left me feeling like I'd gotten booster shots in my delts, and by my next dip I was horrified at my kick, my left elbow position, and my breaststroke pull. By swim #2 I sucked at all things aquatic, but it's okay with me. I don't work to be graceful; I work to be less awkward. Maybe by the time I'm finished, all swims will be as satisfying as the first.

4 comments:

greyhound said...

Niiiiice. Good writing too.

If you mix weights with the swimming, you can always swim like a sack of potatoes. That's my general plan.

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

your first swim is my first lap. then it's all downhill. quickly.

triguyjt said...

My last swim was new years day in 33 degree weather..but i wasn't much for form that day :-)
good luck in your swimming and in training for ironman louisville

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

by the way.

I just wanted you to know that I hold you responsible for the Foreigner Lyrics running through my head after today's Master's swim.

thanks for that...