Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Wisconsin-bound

I will catch you when you fall. Well, provided you do it at the finish line. Oh! And assuming it’s my turn in line. I’m going to Ironman Wisconsin in 2007, but not as a competitor (ha! As if I’ve ever “competed” in an Ironman); I’m volunteering as a finish line catcher all day. From the easy, confident stride of the winner to the hobble of the bitter 12:01 AM unofficial finisher. There will be tears. Sweat. Blood, perhaps? Oh, and puke... maybe puke. And me.

You kids are gonna make me proud. And stinky. Try not to sweat on me.

4 comments:

Brent Buckner said...

I am going to drink copious water at mile 24 and spend the next two miles trying to drive it out through my pores.

Ha! See you at the finish line.

More seriously, thank you.

greyhound said...

Finish line catching is the bomb. Seeing all those people at the moment they achieve their goal is very inspiring--more so in the back of the pack than anywhere else. (Nothing worse or more petty than a 9:30 ironman who's pissed because he didn't break 9 hours.) And you can cut in line if someone you know is about to finish.

Assuming I make it that far, it's going to be really meaningful to see one of the faces that helped me along the way. You're the best.

Unknown said...

Mishele, you rock!

George Schweitzer said...

All right Mishele! I want no one touching me except for you when i finish IMWI! And also, wear clothes that you dont mind getting ruined...i've seen some nastiness at that finish line.

George