Thursday, October 12, 2006

Help a brother out

I’m in a pickle.

17 days from now there’s a race in which I’ve planned to compete all season: the Ironstar half iron. Ironstar was my very first triathlon two years ago, and the bike course is sorta my home course after all the hours I laid on it this summer while training for Wisconsin. Add to this that “all my friends” (except for greyhound of course) will be racing up there two Sundays from now (AND I need to get in an October race for my Snickers Marathon sponsorship) and I find myself seriously pressured to hop on that bandwagon and race my little heart out. I should sign up, right?

I think so. My boyfriend disagrees, saying it’s “dangerous.” I don’t know why... he is a thenthitive boy after all, and everyone knows thenthitive boys tend to be (over)protective. I’m sure his concern is based in emotional overreaction and not the fact that until Monday’s beerathon I hadn’t run since that pesky 26.2 in Madison. And of course he’s not taking into account that my bike hasn’t even been cleaned from the ravaging it suffered a month ago (though I did ride it once... for 7 miles). Yes, my hunney-punkin is just being silly. Normally I’d just ignore him, but this week I’ve had a revelation that makes me think he may have more sense than me.

I went home last weekend to bring all my junk to Texas (it’s been in storage for the past two years), and the reunion with my stuff got me reflecting on, you know, my life. I noticed that the common denominator in a LOT of my decisions in life--from doing well in high school so I could get the hell outta Dodge to doing 3 marathons without training--has been defiance. I only seem motivated by proving others wrong. That’s how I ended up at Ironstar the first time: some lame-ass friend told me I couldn’t prepare for the HIM distance in 6 weeks. Clearly this boy is dumb, and I had the time of my life and my fastest bike split to date despite doing some sprints this year (sigh... I’m slow). Moving on-- The point is, I’m stubborn and maybe I shouldn’t be.

The realization that I sorta only do stuff to prove others wrong is making me doubt myself. I really really wanna do the race--I don’t even want to go fast. I just want to participate. Of course, there’s the remote possibility that maybe my boyfriend is right. As if to echo his words, I was a teensy weensy bit sore on Wed after a 3ish mile jaunt on Tuesday (Of course, if you’d dared me I could have pulled another 10ish from my hiney, especially if there was anything over $1 on the line). SO, in an attempt to be a rational, safe adult I am riding the Ironstar course on Saturday at a modest pace. If I feel okay I’m signing up for the race (and I’m racing as an Athena to minimize my “24 in the 25-29 age group” bitterness. Oh, and if there was any Athena doubt on the scale a month ago, there isn’t now). If not, I’m going to get off my fat ass and get to work on my running/off season training.

Any words of wisdom from the crowd?

P.S. Yes, I participated in a beerathon on Monday night. One beer to chug, one mile run, one chug, one mile, one chug. There’s no official award, but the crowd tells me I was the best chugger there. Now if I can get that silly “run” part of the race under my belt I shall rule the beerathon world in 2007! Still, my mile splits were 7:50 and ~8:20... not embarrassing.

P.P.S. Who puts on such a wonderful event? Oh, only the coolest tri club in the country. Eat your heart out distant triers!

7 comments:

George Schweitzer said...

good job on the beerathon. Finally, the greek system at WU is paying off!

greyhound said...

You and Coach T! You Colerain kids are so contrarian, it's funny.

My advice, ride steady and exceed the race distance on the bike to test your endurance and recovery. Perhaps include a little runoff. If you bounce back in a day or two, no worries.

But of course that was my training plan for our Saturday celebrity ride, so I'm clearly biased.

Unknown said...

sorry... i've seen your pics. there is NO WAY you're an athena. you don't have three chins.

i used to be like you... if someone dared me to do something, i was on it like a fly on poop. i lost it for a little while (what, with the advent of getting on birth control and getting fat), now I'm working my way back to being a complete and total competitive bitch. i've missed that about myself.

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

hi there! hey, greyhound says you're cool and um, wow - you are!

love the haircut. suits you!

...but back to the subject. boys. what do they know? they're sooo protective.

i have nothing useful to offer here, except well, try not to fall off your bike.

The Stretch Doc said...

I'm with GreyHound. If you feel good, then go for it. Now like your out to set PR's as you stated you just wanted to participate.
I'll be volunteering this year in the Bike tranisition. Let me know if you sign up!
Rockon`

Cheaper Than Therapy said...

I just have to say - I just found your blog and I think you're freaking hilarious. I can totally identify with 95% of what you post.

As for the race (not that you want to take advice from some random reader, but still...) is that Greyhound is right on. If the race isn't going to happen, maybe you can volunteer - still be part of the day, and just look at it as good karma for the future :)

Marie said...

My coworkers just made fun of me for drinking PBR!