Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Aftermath

At the finish they always hold up a banner for you to cross to make your moment and picture that much cooler, but I always feel silly; my photo shows this with my rolled/half closed eyes and drunken smile on my face (at 14:26:01). Diane crossed a few seconds later, and we thanked each other for the run company. I got my medal, bag, etc (and got to keep my timing chip bracelet thingy, which was cool and unexpected) and met with my roommate. Did I cry? NO! I didn’t do lots of things well this race but I did do that. After snagging some pizza/Diet Coke we headed to the car. That basically ended the glamorous part of the night... I went home to really bad chafing and lots of wet stinky clothes. Roomie was great about dropping off my bike with Tribike Transport and general assistance with my junk, which made this trip a lot easier than Arizona. Friends are nice to have around.

Overall, Wisconsin was many times harder than Arizona--the weather, the hills, and the lines. Maybe it’s not fair to compare the larger IM WI to IM AZ, but I just wasn’t impressed with the former’s facilities or organization... one day once I’ve gotten to all the North American Ironman races I’ll have a better sample to compare this place to. And though I swore on Monday I’d never be back to IM in Madison again, I knew I was lying; I’ll be back for this course, just not next year. Heh, maybe I’ll wait til I move somewhere with a fall, winter, and hills before I do so, but I’ll be back. And I’m bringing arm warmers! :-)

3 comments:

greyhound said...

Hey, Mishele! Great race report. It was a very tough day. I don't know how I missed you. May have been eating when you came through, but congrats on a great effort.

When I get around to updating my sidebar, I'm going to add a link from my blog.

valorie said...

congrats michelle :o) i am so proud of you!! any way you'd be in cinci for thanksgiving? I just bought my tickets home today.

George Schweitzer said...

Good report mishele. You are awesome! And you're right...comparing this to Arizona is comparing apples and oranges. It was great having you and Ben there to keep me company. Good luck with all your fall/winter races.